This baked oatmeal is perfect for brunch or breakfast and keeps well for leftovers too!
For the Oatmeal Fruit Bake:
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, gluten free
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground chai spice blend (or ground cinnamon)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 ¼ cup dairy free milk (oat, almond, etc.)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (or coconut oil or unsalted butter), melted
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups rhubarb, diced
- 1 ½ cups strawberries, diced
For the Optional Toppings:
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 2 cups whipped cream
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8×8 pan with oil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the oats, ½ of the walnuts, baking powder, spice and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, yogurt, egg, maple syrup, melted oil and vanilla.
- Place 1 cup each of the rhubarb and strawberries in the bottom of the greased pan. Pour the oat mixture over the top of the fruit. Pour the milk mixture over the oats and use a large spoon to press the milk into the oat mixture.
- Add the remaining fruit and walnuts to the top of the oats. Sprinkle with a little additional chai spice blend/cinnamon.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top is lightly golden.
- To make this dish dairy free, use non-dairy milk and yogurt. Replace the egg with 1 Tbsp. flax meal and 2 Tbsp. water. Mix the flaxmeal and water together and rest 10 minutes before using.
- Use other fruits, depending on the season. An apple and blueberry mixture, peaches or assorted berries are also great options.
Keywords: gluten free, dairy and vegan options