This healthy energy bite is simple to make and is a very satisfying snack between meals. This is one the whole family will love!
- 1 cup rolled oats, gluten free
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats or quinoa flakes
- 1/2 cup banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (or other nut butter or seed butter)
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt ( especially if your nut or seed butter is unsalted)
- 2 Tbsp. mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Mash the banana with a fork in a small bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together all of the ingredients but the chocolate chips.
- Fold in the chocolate chips, if you are using them.
- Place the mixing bowl with the dough in the refrigerator for 5-10 minutes to firm it up a bit and make it easier to roll.
- Roll the batter into balls using your hands. Place each ball on a parchment lined baking sheet. You may need to clean your hands halfway through if the dough is sticking to your hands.
- Once done, place the energy bites in the refrigerator for another 5-10 minutes, before placing them in an airtight container to store in the refrigerator.
- Substitute honey for the maple syrup, if you are not eating vegan and prefer it.
- Substitute sunflower or pumpkin seed butter for the nut butter to make this nut free.
- Substitute chia seeds for the flax meal. Both are excellent sources of omega 3 fatty acids, but the chia seeds have a bit more protein and fiber.
- Enjoy Life brand of chocolate chips are dairy free and free of most common allergens.
Keywords: dairy free, nut free substitutions, vegan, vegetarian