This non-alcoholic blackberry and basil cocktail is simple and surprisingly refreshing.
- 1/4 cup cane sugar (or honey or maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup blackberries
- 3 basil leaves
- 1 tsp. aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4 oz. lemon ginger seltzer water (or ginger beer)
- Start by making the simple syrup. Combine equal parts water and sugar, bring to a boil and then simmer gently until the sugar is dissolved.
- Muddle the blackberries, basil and balsamic in a glass or small bowl until it is a jam or syrup consistency. Transfer 1-2 Tbsp. of the mixture to a small sieve.
- Hold the sieve over a glass and pour the seltzer water over the blackberry mixture into the glass. Add the lime juice and 1 Tbsp. of simple syrup and stir. Taste and add more syrup or lime juice to your taste.
- Add some ice to the glass and garnish with a lime slice before serving.
- Substitute ginger beer for the seltzer water, if you prefer.
- If you don’t have flavored seltzer available, use a plain seltzer and add a little ginger juice to it, along with some additional lime or lemon juice.
- If you don’t want to bother making simple syrup, just add a little maple syrup to your glass. Simple syrup will keep in the refrigerator for months, if you make it.
Keywords: gluten free, dairy free, vegan and vegetarian