This hearty gluten free breakfast skillet dish is delicious and versatile. It is great for breakfast or brunch and you can keep it simple or make it fancy if you want!
- For the Skillet:
- 4 medium potatoes (gold, russet or sweet)
- 1–2 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 2 bell peppers, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups spinach, chopped
- 4 large chicken sausages (or 8 breakfast sausage links)
- 4 eggs, fried or 6 eggs scrambled (optional)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
For the Optional Toppings:
- shredded cheese
- sour cream or Crème Fraiche
- avocado, cubed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Coat with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, just until tender.
- While the potatoes roast, dice the peppers & onion, chop the spinach & mince the garlic.
- Slice the chicken sausages into bite sized pieces and sauté them in a medium-high skillet just until warmed and slightly browned. Transfer the cooked sausage to a bowl or plate.
- Add 1 Tbsp. of oil to the same skillet and sauté the peppers and onion, until tender. Add the spices and the minced garlic and cook the mixture another minute.
- Add the cooked potatoes and chicken sausage to the pan with the vegetables and continue cooking until everything is warmed through. Lower the heat on the burner to keep the mixture warm, while you cook the eggs (if using).
- If adding eggs to this dish, cook them in a separate pan. You can make them fried or scrambled.
- Add the spinach to the skillet mixture and let it wilt.
- To make this dish dairy free and vegan, omit the sour cream and cheese or use dairy free/vegan options and top with scrambled tofu instead of eggs.
- Use dairy free/vegan cheese and sour cream if needed.
Keywords: gluten free, dairy free and vegan option