This easy egg dish makes a great make ahead breakfast meal for the week or a delicious brunch item to serve to guests.
- 10 eggs, whisked
- 2 Tbsp. butter, organic (or olive oil)
- 8 oz. mushrooms, diced
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (parmesan or white cheddar), optional
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream or non-dairy milk
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the bacon slices on the baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- While the bacon is cooking, dice the mushrooms and onion and saute them in butter or olive oil until they are tender. Add the spinach, until just wilted.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, then add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the ingredients into a greased oven-safe pan and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the frittata is cooked through in the middle. The eggs should no longer jiggle in the center!
- You can use this recipe as a base and mix up any of the ingredients you are adding to the eggs to fit your preferences. Use different veggies, meat or cheeses. Omit ingredient you don’t like or may be sensitive to.
- Another favorite frittata in our family is a Margherita style version with sliced fresh tomatoes, minced basil and a little mozzarella cheese.
- I’ve made this without cooking the vegetables before adding them to the eggs, but I do like the added flavor and healthy fat that the butter/oil give the dish. You can save a little time by skipping this step.
- Add in the red pepper flakes to give the frittata a flavor kick.
- Use non-dairy milk and cheese to make this dairy free.
Keywords: easy, healthy, nut free, dairy free option