- This Scotch egg recipe is completely gluten free and made with turkey sausage. It is a fun appetizer that is also on the healthier side too!
For the Flour Mixture (bowl 1):
- 1/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
For the Egg Wash (bowl 2):
- 1 egg, beaten
For the Breading (bowl 3):
- 1 cup gluten free crackers or panko (processed in a food processor)
- 1/2 tsp. ground paprika
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste (if needed)
For the Scotch eggs:
- 1 lb. ground turkey sausage (seasoned)
- 6 large eggs
For the Dijon Mayo sauce:
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- Fill a medium sauce pan half full of water. Bring it to a boil. Once the water is boiling, carefully place the eggs in the water and reduce the temperature to low. Cover the pan and cook for exactly 6 minutes.
- While the eggs cook, fill a medium sized bowl with cold water and ice. Once the eggs are done cooking, transfer them to the ice bath and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- While the eggs cook and rest, prepare the flour mixture, egg wash and the breading. Place them each in separate bowls. Process the crackers or panko in a small food processor to make the breading for the Scotch eggs.
- Once the eggs finish resting, dry the shells well. Gently crack and peel the shells off of the eggs being careful not to split the eggs open. Dry the outside of the peeled eggs.
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 390 or 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Next, portion out the sausage into balls. Flatten them on a cutting board or a piece of parchment paper to about ¼ inch in depth.
- Carefully wrap up each egg in the sausage, pinching the sides together and coating the entire egg.
- Dip each egg in the flour. Then, dip it in the egg and roll it in the breading mixture to coat the eggs.
- Carefully place each egg in the Air fryer and cook for 12 minutes. Halfway through cooking, turn the eggs over.
- While the eggs are in the Air Fryer, make the dipping sauces you’d like to serve.
- You can either use gluten free crackers or Panko breadcrumbs for the breading.
- I like to use ground turkey sausage instead of pork sausage. Be sure to season the sausage, if no seasoning has been added to it.
- If you don’t want your eggs soft (a little runny in the middle), cook them for another 1-2 minutes before placing them in the ice bath. This will make the finished product a little drier, but much more enjoyable if you can’t stand soft/runny eggs!
- Feel free to make multiple sauces if you like. A Sriracha mayo or honey mustard sauce are two other potential options.
- If your air fryer has wire racks, brush them with a little avocado oil before cooking the eggs.
- If you don’t have an Air Fryer, you can bake the eggs in the oven at 400 degrees on a baking sheet for 25-30 minutes.
Keywords: gluten free, dairy free