This Scotch egg recipe is completely gluten free and made with turkey sausage. It is a fun appetizer that is also on the healthier side too!
I love watching cooking shows, because I always learn something new. After watching chefs make Scotch eggs on Top Chef recently, I set out to figure out how to make these gluten free and as healthy as I could. You can make these as appetizers, but I’ve also gobbled them up for breakfast or a snack too!
What You’ll Need:
- ground turkey sausage (seasoned)
- gluten free flour
- gluten free crackers or panko
- spices – salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika
- Dijon mustard
Making the Recipe:
Start by filling a medium saucepan half full of water. Bring it to a boil. Once the water is boiling, carefully place the eggs in to the water and reduce the temperature to low. Cover the pan and cook for exactly 6 minutes.
While the eggs cook, fill a bowl with a cup of ice or more and some cold water. This ice bath will be used to stop the cooking process (so your eggs are soft inside but the white is cooked enough to wrap the eggs in sausage). It also makes it easier to peel the eggs!
While the eggs cook and cool in the ice bath, prepare the flour, egg wash and and the breading in 3 separate bowls. You’ll also want to process the crackers or panko into finer crumbs for coating the eggs.
Once the eggs finish cooling, dry them off and peel them. Gently crack the eggs being careful to not the split the egg open. They are softer than hard boiled eggs and you need to be very gentle peeling them.
Preheat your Air Fryer to 390/400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
As the Air Fryer heats up, wrap each peeled egg in sausage. I recommend forming the sausage into thin patties and then placing the egg in the middle of it. You’ll next need to carefully wrap up the egg in the sausage like a blanket and pinch the edges together so that the egg is completely wrapped in sausage.
Next, coat each egg in the flour.
After you’ve done that, dip each egg in the beaten egg and then coat it with ground cracker or panko crumbs.
Place each egg on the tray or in the basket of your Air Fryer. It’s best to allow a little room around each egg for the air to circulate. If you’re making a lot of the eggs, you may have to do this in batches.
As the eggs cook, make your favorite dipping sauce. The classic Dijon mayo sauce is delicious, but feel free to do a Sriracha based mayo or any other sauce that sounds yummy to you!
Cut each egg in half and serve them with the dipping sauces. Enjoy!Print
- This Scotch egg recipe is completely gluten free and made with turkey sausage. It is a fun appetizer that is also on the healthier side too!
For the Flour Mixture (bowl 1):
- 1/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
For the Egg Wash (bowl 2):
- 1 egg, beaten
For the Breading (bowl 3):
- 1 cup gluten free crackers or panko (processed in a food processor)
- 1/2 tsp. ground paprika
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste (if needed)
For the Scotch eggs:
- 1 lb. ground turkey sausage (seasoned)
- 6 large eggs
For the Dijon Mayo sauce:
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- Fill a medium sauce pan half full of water. Bring it to a boil. Once the water is boiling, carefully place the eggs in the water and reduce the temperature to low. Cover the pan and cook for exactly 6 minutes.
- While the eggs cook, fill a medium sized bowl with cold water and ice. Once the eggs are done cooking, transfer them to the ice bath and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- While the eggs cook and rest, prepare the flour mixture, egg wash and the breading. Place them each in separate bowls. Process the crackers or panko in a small food processor to make the breading for the Scotch eggs.
- Once the eggs finish resting, dry the shells well. Gently crack and peel the shells off of the eggs being careful not to split the eggs open. Dry the outside of the peeled eggs.
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 390 or 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Next, portion out the sausage into balls. Flatten them on a cutting board or a piece of parchment paper to about ¼ inch in depth.
- Carefully wrap up each egg in the sausage, pinching the sides together and coating the entire egg.
- Dip each egg in the flour. Then, dip it in the egg and roll it in the breading mixture to coat the eggs.
- Carefully place each egg in the Air fryer and cook for 12 minutes. Halfway through cooking, turn the eggs over.
- While the eggs are in the Air Fryer, make the dipping sauces you’d like to serve.
- You can either use gluten free crackers or Panko breadcrumbs for the breading.
- I like to use ground turkey sausage instead of pork sausage. Be sure to season the sausage, if no seasoning has been added to it.
- If you don’t want your eggs soft (a little runny in the middle), cook them for another 1-2 minutes before placing them in the ice bath. This will make the finished product a little drier, but much more enjoyable if you can’t stand soft/runny eggs!
- Feel free to make multiple sauces if you like. A Sriracha mayo or honey mustard sauce are two other potential options.
- If your air fryer has wire racks, brush them with a little avocado oil before cooking the eggs.
- If you don’t have an Air Fryer, you can bake the eggs in the oven at 400 degrees on a baking sheet for 25-30 minutes.