This appetizer is a crowd pleaser and so easy to make. You start with a basic hummus and then top it with any of your favorite add-ins!
This is one of my favorite appetizers to make for a party or gathering. It is delicious and can cater to many different dietary needs. It is gluten free, dairy free, vegan and vegetarian.
You get to decide what you add as toppings and can even put some of them in small bowls for people to add in if you know not everyone will like a certain topping.
What You’ll Need:
- chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- lemon juice
- salt – Himalayan or sea salt
- olive oil
- toppings – olives, roasted red peppers, tomato, basil, pine nuts, etc.
Making the Recipe:
You’ll start by making a basic hummus, unless you choose to skip that and buy some plain hummus instead.
Put all of the ingredients for the hummus in a food processor and blend about a minute until it reaches your desired consistency. Add a little more water as needed to make it creamier.
Next, you’ll spread out the hummus on a platter. Sprinkle it with a little ground cumin and drizzle some olive oil over the top of the hummus.
You decide what toppings to add. Olives, roasted red pepper, tomatoes and basil along with some toasted pine nuts are delicious. You can also set out a bowl of feta cheese for guests to add to their hummus if they aren’t eating dairy free or vegan.Print
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 10–12 (~3 cups of hummus) 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: food processor
- Diet: Gluten Free
For the Basic Hummus:
- 2 cans (15-oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt (Himalayan or sea salt)
For the Toppings: (you pick)
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup Castelvetrano olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/8 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 tomato, seeds removed and diced
- fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, for drizzling on top of the hummus
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts, toasted
- 2 Tbsp. feta cheese crumbles (optional, if eating dairy)
- Place all of the ingredients for the hummus in a food processor and blend about 1 minute until reaching the desired consistency. You may need to add a bit more water to make the hummus creamier.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the hummus and sprinkle some additional cumin over the hummus.
- Add your favorite toppings to the hummus. Put toppings you’re not sure everyone might like in separate bowls so they can add them if they want.
- Serve with some flatbread crackers or raw veggies.
- Make the hummus and prep the toppings ahead of your gathering. Then, all you have to do is quickly plate the hummus before your guests arrive.
- Add a little cayenne to the hummus if you want to make it spicier.
Keywords: gluten free, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian