I often find just plain rice and beans to be a little boring, to be honest. The addition of fresh mango, cilantro and cumin in this recipe makes it so much more visually appealing and more delicious in my opinion!
This dish makes a perfect side dish or could be served as a main dish for the favorite vegan in your life. I dreamed this up as a side dish to satisfy my son, who is gluten free and my niece who is vegan.
The black beans provide a healthy dose of protein and fiber. The mango packs great flavor and has antioxidant properties. It is also rich in vitamin C, Vitamin A and several B vitamins.
If you want an easy and flavorful dish to make, this is it!
Here’s what you’ll need:
Rice, black beans, mango, cilantro and lime are the primary ingredients you will need .
Making the dish:
Start by dicing the mango, onions, garlic and cilantro.
Next, you will sauté the onions and garlic.
You will then add in the rice, beans and broth to the pot. Boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
Once the rice is done cooking, you can add in the mango, lime juice, and a little extra oil.
Finally, top the dish with cilantro right before serving it.Print
I often find plain rice and beans to be a little boring, to be honest. The addition of fresh mango, cilantro and cumin in this recipe makes it so much more visually appealing and more delicious in my opinion!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (extra virgin, cold pressed, organic)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked jasmine rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 15-oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 – 2 Tbsp. lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 mango, cubed
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat oil in a stockpot or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until the onion is translucent. Add the minced garlic and saute another minute.
- Add the cumin and rice to the pan. Stir thoroughly to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Pour the broth and beans into the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring the rice mixture halfway through the cooking time.
- Peel and dice the mango into 1 inch sized cubes. Set aside.
- Remove from heat and drizzle with a little more olive oil, the lime juice, mango and cilantro.
To make this dish vegan, use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth
Basmati rice or another rice can be used in place of the jasmine rice
Keywords: gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, nut free