These muffins can serve as breakfast or a healthy on the go snack. By making them in a muffin pan, you can easily cater each of the muffins to the tastes and dietary needs of those who will be eating them.
If you make a double batch of these, you’ll have several days of meals already prepared, saving you precious time during the week.
If your kids are like mine and they barely make it up in time to get out the door for school, it also ensures they’ve eaten something healthy before they leave the house.
I usually start by putting a little frozen hash browns in the bottom of the muffin tins. Then, I mix and match different ingredients to the tastes of my family.
Here’s what you’ll need:
This basis of this recipe is pretty simple. It includes eggs, milk , some hash browns, cheese (optional) and your favorite meats and veggies.
Making The Recipe:
Start by greasing your muffin tin with some ghee, butter or a little oil. I like to put a small layer of hash browns in the bottom of each of the tins.
Next, whisk the eggs and milk with a little salt and pepper and half of the shredded cheese.
Add your favorite ingredients (meats, veggies, etc.) on top of the hash browns. Then, pour the egg mixture over top of those ingredients.
Finally sprinkle a little extra cheese on top of the muffins and put them in a 375 degree oven to bake for roughly 20-25 minutes.Print
Easy breakfast dish or healthy snack – these egg muffins are perfect for a family on the go and are easy to customize to please the tastes of the whole family
- 1 Tbsp. butter or oil – to grease the muffin tin
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or cream (organic)
- 8 oz. meat of choice (turkey sausage, bacon, ham, etc.) – optional
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups hash browns, frozen
- 1 cup vegetables, assorted (spinach, tomatoes, onions, chives, peppers, etc.) – optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grease bottom and sides of a muffin pan with butter, olive oil or avocado oil. Place hash browns in the bottom of each muffin slot, no more than one third the way up the sides.
- Brown meat (if using in the recipe) and drain if needed. Sprinkle the meat on top of the hash brown layer along with your favorite veggies.
- Crack and beat the eggs. Add in milk/cream and salt and whisk together. Add 1/2 of the shredded cheese. Pour the egg mixture on top of the hash browns.
- Put the remaining shredded cheese on top of the eggs and bake for 20-25 minutes. Check at 20 minutes to see if the eggs have firmed in the middle. If not, continue to cook and check every few minutes to ensure they have cooked through before serving.
Be creative and add in whatever sounds good in this dish. You can also substitute cheeses based on other ingredients you select.
Consider using grated sweet potatoes instead of hash browns for the base of the muffin
This same dish can be made in a 9×13 baking dish. Bake it for 40-45 minutes (30-35 minutes covered with foil and another 5-10 minutes uncovered)
Keywords: simple, quick, healthy