This is an appetizer I love for its versatility. It can be done very simply or it can be jazzed up with additional toppings to make it even more inspired!
I initially developed this idea when I was in my culinary nutrition program and studying about food allergies, sensitivities and intolerance. I had to create dishes that would be free of foods that cause the most issues for people.
It was quite challenging to find dishes that were free of so many foods and also looked and tasted amazing. These Sweet Potato Bites hit the mark on simplicity and deliciousness for me. The guests of my 1st cooking class absolutely loved them!
Here’s What you’ll need:
The basis of this dish is very simple with a few key ingredients : sweet potatoes, avocado, shallots and cilantro.
Making the recipe:
While your oven is preheating, start by washing and slicing your sweet potatoes. You will want to select sweet potatoes that are fairly even in diameter. This helps to ensure the batch cooks evenly and they are visually more appealing.
Once you have sliced the potatoes, coat them in oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
While the potatoes are cooking, slice the shallots thinly and saute in a skillet in some fat to caramelize them. Set them aside.
Once the potatoes are done cooking, set them aside and let them cool for 5 minutes.
Mash up an avocado. Top the sweet potatoes with the avocado, shallots and some minced cilantro and serve.Print
This appetizer is delicious, healthy and so simple to make. It takes only a few ingredients and is done in under 30 minutes. Anyone I’ve ever made it for raves about it!
- 3 sweet potatoes (about 6-7″ in length)
- 1 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced (rounds)
- 1 tsp. ghee (or avocado oil)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 avocados, mashed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch round slices
- Place a piece of parchment paper on a large baking sheet
- Rub oil into the sweet potato slices and place them on the parchment. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes
- While the potatoes are baking, prepare the shallots. Slice the shallots thinly into rounds.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the ghee to the pan and saute the shallots until they caramelize to a light brown color, being careful not to burn them. Set aside.
- Chop the cilantro and mash up the avocado.
- Once the potatoes are done, let them cool for 5 minutes. Then, top them with the mashed avocado, the shallots and a pinch of cilantro. Plate and serve!
Add a little crispy chopped bacon or prosciutto for extra flavor, if not eating vegan/vegetarian
Keywords: gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, dairy free, nut free, soy free, top 8 allergen friendly